Re: CV/u-joint boot replacemetn?

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 18:28:34 EST

In a message dated 12/3/00 3:21:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, wweems@fix.net
writes:

> Ok, I honestly dont know what you WOULD call these things... basically the
> little boot thing that is right behind the front wheels on a 4x4 truck...
> the front right boot has a little tear in it... and I'd rather take care of
> it sooner than later. My question is this... do I have to remove a lot of
> stuff to put a new boot on it?
>
> Wes

VERY EASY, pull the wheel off, remove the cotter pin and anti loosen thingey
from the end of the axle, remove large nut, 1 1/4" if memory serves. Remove
6-8 bolts from inner axle flange, remove entire CV axle. Beg, borrow, rent
(autozone), steal, purchase a set of CV boot clamp pliers, use these to
remove the 2 clamps on the boot. Disassemble axle, clean CV axle, re pack
with CV grease (may come with boot), install new boot, re assemble axle, re
install clamps, re install axle, reinstall wheel, done.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!