Where to start on wheels...

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 00:54:18 EST

I'm thinking about getting some new wheels and/or tires to replace my stock
15 x 7 skinnies with something more substantial, but I've been a little
baffled by the seemingly infinite variables involved. I'm hoping we have a
wheel and tire guru who can provide something of a primer so I can be a
little more educated as I research the possibilities. I'd like my truck to
have good dirt characteristics while still being speedy on the road. I know
this is kind of general, but I have some basic newbie questions:

1) What advantages and disadvantages are there to different diameters and
widths, when you're choosing among rims that range from 15x8 up to 17x10?

2) What do I take into consideration when balancing wheel diameter and tire
aspect ratio to reach my desired overall size?

3) What will physically fit on our trucks without modification (in other
words, I'm not doing a Walt Felix...) ;-)

Any info anyone can provide to get me further along would be greatly
appreciated, or point me toward resources where I can research further...
FWIW I have 3.21 gears but I'm thinking about changing to 3.90's, and I'm
also probably going to do a body lift as well.

Thanks,

- Alex/StL
'00 RC SLT V6 5-Speed
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/SxokV7hSrtCVk