Sulfur smell, and glowing manifolds....help!!

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 05:15:06 EST

Heya there,

Well I just got back from plowing through some fresh snow in my Dakota. I
noticed while I was doing this that the truck would smell like sulfur
while/after plowing through snow. We're talking about snow up to the skid
plates, probably about up to foot or so worth of snow. The Dak did great
traction-wise. I did notice the temp ran right at 210, and I popped the
hood to check if the radiator was clogged w/ snow (it wasn't), and to check
viscous fan operation (blowing warm air). Right as I was shutting the hood,
I noticed the exhaust manifolds glowing red (not bright...but glowing). The
glowing also seemed to be related to the sulfur smell, after running the
engine at a high idle for a minute the manifolds were no longer glowing,
coolant temp drops below 210 and the sulfur smell was gone. I know this
post is long (sorry!) but this has gotten me a bit concerned seeing how the
truck's almost out of warranty at 33,400 miles. If anyone can give me ideas
for what to do/check I would greatly appreciate it! One last note- even
though it was running at 210 degrees, the engine did NOT ping at all.
(thanks to 3923's and new Taylor wires)

Thanks in advance!!

-Darren Asuncion
Fairbanks, AK
99 Intense Blue CC Sport +, 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 lsd, 4wheel ABS
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html