Re: White Gauge Face ?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 02:15:32 EST

Chris, I found it to be a lot harder to do than I thought it would be.I'm
going to give you some pointers here,and you may not know what I am talking
about until you get your dash apart,but just save them for then.#1-when
pulling the old faceplate off,be very careful and take your time,try not to
break the plastic around the needle holes and try to get all the glue up
with it.#2-whatever glue doesn't come off with the old faceplate,spend some
time and scrape it off,it needs to be as smooth as possible.#3-prep the
sending unit plate well before gluing down your new faceplate.#4-when you
are ready to put the needles back on,just barely put them on,and adjust them
to be exactly right before pushing them on any further.again,don't go too
far,as they have a tendency to move on you and you will probably find
yourself doing it 3 or 4 times to get it right.#5-when you are sure you have
the needles correctly set,go ahead and push them on,but do not push them all
the way down to the plate.I did this with mine, and half of them were stuck
against the plate,had to start over.Leave just a little space between them
and the plate and they will be fine.Drive your truck down the road a little
while before putting the dash back together, to make sure all your gauges
are accurate.Then,shut the truck off and leave it alone long enough to get
completely cold again.Then, turn the key on and make sure all the gauges
register where they're supposed to cold.Now you are ready to put the dash
back together.Make sure you get all the little velvet pieces back on the
clips or you will have a rattle.I took the time to oil all my hinges on my
a/c vents and blew all the dust out of the dash internals before I put it
back together.No squeaks,no problems.I hope this helps you,Chris.If you get
it apart and have a question,I will be more than happy to help you with it.I
am sending you a private E-mail with my phone # so that you can reach me
anytime.TTYL,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html