Re: timing chain

From: Daniel Piotrowski (piotrod@versifit.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 14:48:46 EST

I had the same (metallic rattling) noise last year at 60k miles on my 96 V6
and it was my timing chain. I took it to the Dodge dealer and he said that
it would be $500-$800 and I that I should just wait until it got worse. I
took it to I mechanic I know and he found a TSB about it that said that
there was a tensioner to add that would prevent it from wearing out so soon
(he got this extra part along with the timing chain replacement set from
the local Dodge dealer). It was a pretty big job, it took him 2 1/2 hours
to complete so I glad I didn't try to tackle it myself. It costed me about
$200.