power steering probs and funny service story (4.7L)

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 15:18:32 EST

Anyone had any trouble with their power steering pumps? Whenever i uhhh...
ahem... do dougnuts in certain empty golf course parking lots or rev the
engine too much, i lose fluid via a leak in the power steering pump
(according to my dealership). That in turn makes the pump whine like crazy
when i turn or completely shut off. (which is not fun, even in one of the
lightest dakotas...)

I can put more fluid in it, but it seems to leak slowly regardless of how i
drive so i use about a quart a week.

They said the pump is on backorder, so just keep putting fluid through it
for now. If i break it i get a rental till the part comes in, right? =)
not that i'd really want something else, but my dealer likes me so maybe
they could hook me up with a 300M or something... hehe

so i'm bullshitting with my salesman and i see out the window of the
showroom a service manager hop into my truck and fire it up. from halfway
across the showroom through the glass of the window and my truck i hear
clearly: "WHOA!" from a 40+ year old guy. (which is cool cuz i'm so young)
Not to mention i heard him say this OVER the very exhaust note he was so
impressed with. What happened next was funny too... i guess he thinks the
power is all at the top end because he gave it about half pedal in reverse
to get through the snow and ended up about 15 feet furthur backward than he
wanted. So heres what it sounded like:

ChuhChVVRRRRO--"WHOA!"--RROOOMMmmmmmmmm-gluga-gluga-gluga-gluga-WHhRRROOM-SC
REECH-gluga-gluga-gluga-gluga-dug-dug-dug-dug-dug-du-du-du-du-du-d-d-d-d-d-d

So Will... now you know that a 4.7L with no muffler is sweet and loud even
to a grisly old mechanic. (nice guy too btw... all smiles around me from
then on)

Sean Bruckman
4.7L RC 4x2