4x4 & LSD

From: Victor Carrola, Jr. (carrola@texas.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 21:35:08 EST

This is my first 4x4 and I need to be a little more educated on how this
thing is working when I'm off-roading. I've got a '01 4x4 (part-time,
dial on the dash) 5spd w/LSD. Here are a couple of questions.

When you are in 4 wheel drive, how does the truck determine which wheel
of an axle get's the power? Does a truck with LSD do something
different that a truck without LSD when it trying to get traction?

Who can tell me more about 'lockers'? From what I understand this is a
mod to 'lock' the axle so that both wheels of the axle are always
getting power, is this correct? Does this require a new transfer case
or do you just add a new part? Is this expensive? hard to DIY? are
there any reasons why I wouldn't want to do this?

Thanks guys
Vic
http://carrola.home.texas.net/dodge/dakotamain.html