just gotta vent: Blow tweeter

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 01:38:36 EST

MAN! I just gotta vent. I had a nice pair of infinity EMIT planar tweeters
in my truck. Today, while going to church with the music at moderate, which
is about 1/8 of it's capable volume, I noticed a strong inbalance between
the tweeters while cruising. Great. probably a messed up channel in the
amp of bad wiring.

I get home, pull the door panel off and check all the connections, even
hooked up a seperate component to the wires going to the tweeter and HM.
they work. PISSED, I check the ohms of the little tweeter and it reads
zero, open. nodda. check all the tensile leads and they're in good
working condition.

I called up a couple audio stores to ask about a replacement, and get this.
the EMITS haven't been produced in 3 years. SO.. here I sit with 1 really
sweet crisp accurate tweeter in the right ear, and a freaking 3x1" hole in
my door panel. ARG!!!!!!

Anyone have one just laying around somewhere? I'm gonna contact infinity
to see if it can be fixed. I don't get it. It's got a 10MFD cap on it,
crossing it out around 3500-4500 hz with a 6dB roll off (too lazy to make a
12dB crossover) but I haven't abused the tweeters, it keeps up wit the subs
just fine at 1/2 it's capable volumes.

Oh well, sorry for the off topic rant. Well, it was kinda on topic, because
now I gotta find out how to fiberglass up the holes in my door panels so I
can go buy some 1" hard dome/silk dome/titanium dome tweeters or something.
Anyone know how to? or doe anyone know where I can find door panels CHEAP?
-Dester