Re: '98 upper ball joints????

From: John_Neff@Dell.com
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 11:35:21 EST

I just had my truck in for a looksy at the upper ball joints about a month
ago. I kept pushing to have them replaced as there was movement but the
service manager said they will move some. BS! They move a lot. I had him
call the factory and they told him they are not sending out an abnormal
number of replacement ball joints. Then he went on to tell me about how
crappy the ball joints were on early 70's Chrysler cars. Hello! This isn't
the 70's! I need to find a dial indicator and get the FSM specs on how much
movement is within spec. Once I have both, I will be able to go back and
show them my uppers are toast. BTW, I had my lowers replaced at 21K. They
also were completely shot.

I agree though. The upper joints used in these trucks is way too small.

I don't know about a recall. I received an email from someone at the NHTSA
last year asking me about my ball joints and how I had to have them replaced
at only 21K miles. He said they were doing a preliminary investigation but
needed to find a truck which suffered from a sudden failure, i.e. joint
snapped, before they could do anything about a recall.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2l, Auto, Mopar headers and computer, F&B TB, Gibson
cat back, MSD 6A and Blaster SS coil