Hypertech PTM dyno results :(

From: Dave Thede (tnadoman@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 23:00:10 EST

Well, I took the truck to the dyno shop today to establish whether the
Hypertech PTM was worth the almost $300 I spent and to let others know
whether its worth the money.

To start, my truck dynoed at 188.0 rwhp and 267.3 rwtq about a year and a
few months ago. the temp was around 88F. Only mods were the Gibson and a K&N
with my homemade ram air.

Today, after letting the truck cool for almost an hour, we hooked her up. I
was only able to generate around 168 rwhp :( The temp was around 50-55F.
This run was in 4th gear to 5,000 rpm (it sounded sweet)

Being miffed, we ran several more runs in 3rd and 4th with the Hypertech.
The best we could do was 176.5 rwhp and 256.3 rwtq in 3rd (horsepower) and
4th gear (best torque).

I then disconnected the battery and reinstalled the stock computer harness.
I ran the truck about 30 miles around town to re-learn the computer.

The best I did with that was 184.5 rwhp (3rd gear) and 266.1 rwtq (4th
gear). Almost identical to a year ago.

In summary, I lost about 10 horsepower and 10 lb/ft torque with the
Hypertech.

3rd gear
Hypertech - 176.5 horsepower
          - 247.7 torque
Stock chip- 184.5 horsepower
          - 254.7 torque

4th gear
Hypertech - 169.8 horsepower
          - 256.3 torque
Stock chip- 180.1 horsepower
          - 266.1 torque

I'll be returning my Hypertech for a refund very shortly.

Dave Thede
1997 Sport+ Flame Red CC V8/5-spd 4x4 3.55
Dynoed 188.0 rwhp, 267.3 rwtorque
Homemade Ram Air
K&N FIPK clone
Gibson split cat-back
Hypertech PTM - returned to manufacturer

http://members.xoom.com/tnadoman