checking blower motor

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 22:25:45 EST

Before you check the switch, I'd check the fuse first, and if it's good,
go to the blower motor next. Unplug the wire to the blower motor and
check it with the switch turned to high and the function lever turned to
anything but off. If the switch is working ok and the fuse is good, you
should have 12 volts or so at the blower motor power supply wire. If
you dont, then go back and start checking the switch/blower resistor (if
it has one) This may save you some time and hassles, as it
is a lot faster to check this stuff than the blower switch.
  As for draining the radiator, you may have looked at instructions for
cooling fan, not blower motor. Sometimes its hard to get the wording
right. You may have to pull the radiator to get the radiator cooling
motor out (I dont know for sure, never had to do it) The only reason I
could think that you'd have to drain the coolant for a blower motor is
if you have to drop the heater box to get the blower out, then you'd
have to remove the heater core hoses, but you'd probably have to
discharge the a/c also because the evaporator is in the box too.
  Who's got a friggin' FSM?! Get the sucker out!
Patrick