Re: Tow hooks

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 18:30:56 EST

Mopar makes a hook kit, Tom Fawcett's got instructions for installing
them on a '98 on the DML homepage. Not overly difficult, but you do
have to remove your front bumper. It's about $130 from a dealer.

The Adam Blaster (who is currently off-list, vacationing Down Under) had
some custom hooks fitted to his frame, higher than the Mopar hooks; He
had to cut into his fascia to poke them through, while the Mopar hooks
sit underneath. I think they're bolted to some tabs he had welded
direct to the framerails, but I don't recall exactly. Hopefully someone
else who's seen them got a better look than I.

Of these two, Adam's solution seems to be better for the hardcore
offroader, as it doesn't change your approach angle, and keeps the hooks
off the trail. The Mopar hooks are designed by the factory to bolt
right up (IOW, they're "factory approved"), but they hang lower,
reducing your approach angle - plus, that puts them deeper into the
muck. Jason & Norah have the Mopar hooks on their '98, and they had to
go into the mud to get at them out at Jon's IIRC.

Your other option is to get a winch-ready brushguard and weld on some
hooks (or get one with them already on) or a complete bumper
replacement, like what Hanson Enterprises offers. David Martin welded
some hooks (and/or D-rings) onto the Manik guard on his '97.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness -------------------------------------------------------------