Re: Adjusting the front suspension caster angle

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 10:19:39 EST

In a message dated 12/29/00 9:42:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, bernd@texas.net
writes:

> Caster mainly controls how straight the vehicle tracks. Camber is the
> culprit
> for side wear (and Toe as well).

Not in this case. The problem I'm having is when I turn the wheel it pulls
the sidewall under the rim and wears the hell out of it. Toe-in and excessive
positive camber is not the culprit (or not the main culprit anyways) for the
problem I'm haing. It looks like now I have close to 0 degrees caster. I want
to increase it just a few degrees. This will cause the steering to be a
little more sensitive, but with the steering rack angled back slightly, it
will cause the outer portion of the tires to lift up and forward, preventing
the sidewall from being pulled so far underneath, giving me better contact
with the road. Think of the front tire of a bicycle. The steering fork is
angled back so when you turn it, it gets a better contact with the ground. If
it was 0 degrees as well, you'd probably flip over the handlebars in hard
corners.

 -Austin
Vipertruck - "The Anti-Rice"
Supercharged 6.0 V8