Re: Air Tools

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 21:58:02 EST

> I bought a set of air tools from the local Costco (warehouse store). The
> brand name is Mastergrip. Problem is there is no directions. Since this
is
> my first set of pneumatics I need to know from those of you experienced in
> this area a couple things. What kind of oil do I use and how often do I
> need to put in oil? I have a ratchet, impact wrench, and air hammer. Fun
> tools...especially the impact tool. That sucker will loosen anything. I
> got this cheaper set to learn about these things before I go and buy the
> expensive stuff.

Ron,
I too just this summer started investing in air tools. I have a Craftsman
vertical 6hp 30gallon air compressor, which I 'reworked' the fittings and
added an inline serviceable air filter right next to the pressure regulator.
I have the tank mounted on a small 'pallet' I built, with 4 heavy duty
rubber locking castors. It is really nice and makes the tank extremely
portable. I am using Craftsman's 1/2" air hose, instead of the typically
used 3/8" hose. I dont have many tools at all, just 3 in fact. One air tool
I have is, of course, a full size impact gun. It is an Ingersoll Rand 1/2"
drive impact gun with 600ft/lbs of reverse torque and 450ft/lbs of forward
torque. My next tool is an Ingersoll Rand 3/8" 'Reactionless' Ratchet which
has 300 rpms and 50ft/lbs of torque. The last air tool I bought was an
compact Ingersoll Rand 3/8" 'butterfly throttle' Impact Gun. Sockets are the
expensive part also, cause I want to buy the best I can afford and there are
alot of sockets out there I want/need: Deep well 1/2" standard, deep well
1/2" metric, standard 1/2", metric 1/2", deep well 3/8" standard, deep well
3/8" metric, standard 3/8", metric 3/8", etc. Like I said, I want to spend
the extra cash and buy some quality sockets , whereas I wont have to 'worry'
about replacing them due to breakage. I am currently using an 'inline oiler
'at the end of the air hose, so I dont have to worry about adding oil. I
hope by the summer to have all the sockets I mentioned above. Thank goodness
for flea market vendors who sell the good stuff :)
Kyle