Re: Engine light...

From: Damien Civiello (djc208@psu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 15:22:28 EST

        Just about all the fuel injected dodge vehicles will feed computer
codes this way (just one of the many reasons Dodge is better). The
procedure is this:
        Turn the ignition key from off to on (NOT start). Repeat this twice
more (off, on, off, on). Then leave the key on and watch the check
engine light. It will start to flash two digit number codes. For
instance if you've disconnected the battery recently there will be a
code 12 which will appear as a single flash, a short pause, then two
more flashes. There will then be a long pause and the second code will
start. The last code will be a 55 (five flashes, short pause, five
flashes) to signal "end of codes".

        The list of codes can be found in most service manuals and may be
available on the web (check www.allpar.com for some of the common ones)
though there will be some codes that are unique to the engine/year of
each vehicle (i.e.. the turbo cars have a few extra/different codes than
the others).

        Just remember, the codes are what the computer sees and NOT necessarily
what is actually wrong. For instance a code 52 (which usually means: O2
sensor is stuck rich) could be caused by a faulty sensor, a problem with
the fuel system, or a problem in the wiring or electronics. Poor
battery voltage has been known to cause all sorts of odd codes to be
set.