4x4 tires (was: The most terrifying experience of my life...)

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 11:04:15 EST

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:29:59 -0500, andylevy@bigfoot.com (Andy Levy)
wrote:

>They were MT/S, 32x11.5 I think. A bit too much for me. I just priced
>BFG T/A KOs at BJ's, $105 each. They refuse to install any tire that
>isn't a factory size,

Personally, I'd refuse to do business with anyone who refused to sell
me the product I wanted. There are plenty of tire shops around who
are willing to work with you and install different sizes, as long as
they fit.

>However, I haven't decided yet. Still have some more reviews to read
>and compare. I hope to make a decision by the end of the week and have
>them installed this weekend.

FWIW, I've been looking in to tires since I noticed my Pirellis are
starting to crack apart. I've talked to several people on and off
this list whose opinions I value, and I've searched through the
archives. BFGs have a great reputation, and the KO is a nice tire for
sure, although they're quite expensive. I also keep hearing good
things about Dunlop brand tires -- great performance and traction, and
at a reasonable price. Their all-terrain is the Radial Rover RV (what
they call AT is more of an all season, go figure). Kyle Kozubal had a
set of the RVs, and he seemed to be quite impressed with them.

I've been thinking of ditching the crappy stockers and putting a set
of Rover R/Ts on Norah's truck (once we decide whether we're keeping
the '98 or getting a quad cab this summer). These tires are supposed
to be a more agressive all terrain. Picture here:
http://www.dunloptire.com/products/tire.html?tire=radial_rover_rt

Anyone know anything about this particular style?

Linux: Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.
Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 239 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white
hers: '98 Dakota Sport 4x4, 318 V8, Auto, Club Cab, black