Time Article Rebuttal

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 16:58:17 EST

My e-mail to Time Magazine from convulsing on the Chrysler article:

The article from your Dec 4th issue on "Purging Chrysler" by Frank Gibney
Jr. needs to be put into the circular can. But here is my outrage to your
reporter...
TO FRANK GIBNEY:
Frank! After reading your article, you need to quit your job in journalism
and apply for new job. Have you ever considered being a ditch digger?
You must be the 'MORON' that everyone is talking about, with your head in
your rear when you wrote the story about Chrysler woes. Did you ever check
your facts or just talk to Schrempp himself?
The individual who really has the truth on what happen to the Chrysler
merger has a website (<http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b112100.htm) for
your information. Here, you can read the facts on who did what.
To note, we can thank the inside moles on both side of the ocean who spill
the beans on the Chrysler fallout. Also frank, this website you will find
how Daimler spent Chrysler's 2 billion dollars of reserve money for pressing
through the hard times, then Schrempp had the Chrysler accounts juggled the
books to cover up the fact. Was Chrysler in trouble? No Frank, not according
to the inside moles who gave the information to editor of the website.
Frank, Chrysler was not hurting in cash flow, it was Schrempp's worldwide
shopping spree with Chryslers cash in hand that drove the corporate red ink.

Schrempp ideal of the merger was to keep Chrysler as a division and not as a
partner from the beginning, thus lied to the stockholders. This is why he
either fired the top Chrysler management or asked them to retire early, in
order to control the company from Germany. His next step was to plant his
puppies to control the company from the America side. Unfortunately, Zetsche
is not a good choice that I would select to run such a fast pace
corporation.
Both of these morons, Schrempp and Zetsche, do not have a clue on what is
owner loyalty and corporate moral. How can you streamline a lean Chrysler
management already in place when your own Daimler management is bloated as
GMC? Another item is Frank, both do not have a clue how to design, produce,
or make unique cars in sufficient time for the best bang for the buck here
in America. Why? Look at the current MB line and what do you see? SAME. SAME
& SAME. In addition, all of the MB model designs do not differ from one
model to the other models. This what I call BORING VEHICLES. If I was a
current DC stockholder, I would dump my stock now and any returns is better
than known.
Not to rant anymore Frank, I will get off my soapbox but your article was
nothing more than poor journalism. Instead of being a ditch digger, you
should apply at CBS ("Entertainment News Broadcast").
Next time you decide to write anything on the automotive industry Frank, do
some real research. But then, it maybe the Daimler advertisement dollars for
your magazine that bended the truth.
Steven St.Laurent
Home:<mailto:saint1958@home.com>mailto:saint1958@home.com

Here is the Time Magazine response:
Dear Steven:
Thank you for writing. We welcome timely, insightful reactions to material
we have published, and we can assure you that your observations found an
attentive audience among the editors. Should your comments be selected for
the column, you will be notified in advance of publication. Again, our
thanks for letting us hear from you. We hope that you will write again
should you discover something of particular interest in the news or in our
reporting of it.

Best wishes.

Gloria
TIME Letters