Re: newbie questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 17:07:16 EST

At 12:10 PM 1/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
> Hi all-
>Just joined the list and I have a couple of questions
>that are pretty elementary. My Dak is a
>98 ext cab, 5.2L 5 spd, 4x2.

Welcome to the list, Dan.

> First question is... I know that the 4.7L replaced the 5.2.
>All things held equal (say 5 spd, ext cab,
>and 4x2), which is quicker?

In stock form, 4.7L, and this is from a 5.2L owner.

>I have seen some very impressive qtr mile times for the 4.7
>and was wondering if my Dak could also pull a mid 14 qtr mile.
>(It doesnt feel that fast). Anybody know what the
>0-60 and 1/4 mile times are for a 5.2 5spd, ext cab,
>4x2?

 From my personal experience and observations, 1/4-mi.
times would be high 15s or low 16s.

>Second question... can anyone recommend a
>cheap, good sounding and good looking exhaust.
>I am thinking something maybe with two pipes,
>low, manly rumble for maybe $100-150.
>This is not possible for my 98 Z28, but am hoping
>that it might be for the Dak.
>
>Any recommendations for some cheap mods
>for a few extra hp. e.g. How does the 5.2 respond
>to a K&N filter?

Nothing earth-shattering but the K&N does help a bit.
Best boost for the buck would be the MP PCM, if it's
available for the 5-spd.

>Well, thats about it until I think of more...
>Dan
>Raleigh, NC
>98 Dak Sport, 5.2L, ext cab, 5spd 4x2 (60K miles)
>98 Z28 6spd.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, auto., 3.92SG, 4,265 lb (racing weight)
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rwtorque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75