Re: re: Acceleration and Axle ratios

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 20:06:30 EST

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:56:58 -0500, in dakota-truck you wrote:
>the 5.9 is detuned also.. it's a truck motor tuned just for truck use. The
>4.7 is designed from the ground up to make power, and being an OHC design it
>makes the power up high, not down in the low revs like a 5.9 pushrod motor.
>All else being equal, there's no replacement for displacement.

Agreed. Not only does the 5.9 have the low end torque, but you can
have it make power on the top end too by installing an M1 MPI intake
manifold, headers, and 3" exhaust. The graph below shows what those
mods did to mine. Now I have an engine that pulls hard on both the
low end *and* the high end.
http://users.isaac.net/therrin/dyno6_120900.jpg

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC RT
14.425 @ 93.52, 258 rwhp
Wilmington, NC
Dakota R/T Club, Executive Board, SE Region
http://users.isaac.net/therrin/dakota.html