Re: Dak update/Ram impressions

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 21:36:55 EST

Not to worry! The Ram is.....uh huh,huh
huh,different,but is just too big for me! If it was
just a short bed Sport model with this 360,I would
probably not want to give it back! I like body colored
front fascia,too.On both Rams and Daks.This one`s an
SLT. Steve P.
         Tom (Silver89) <SilverEightynine@aol.com>
wrote:
> Careful steve! DOn't want to loose a Dak owner to a
> Ram J/K!! <ducks flack from
> any Ram owners out there> heheh -
>
> steve preston wrote:
>
> > Let`s make sure we`re all on the same page.My Dak
> is
> > the one that has had the bad hesitation for 10
> months
> > or so,and has not been fixed yet by any Dodge
> > dealer.My sister`s boyfriend is a good
> mechanic,and he
> > checked it out.He said the O2 sensor after the cat
> > read near .8 volts constantly,and that it and the
> > converter were probably bad.Set up another
> appointment
> > at the Dodge place,and basically told them to keep
> it
> > until it`s fixed,but just give me a front-wheel
> drive
> > or 4x4 to use in the meantime.I also told them
> what I
> > was told was wrong with my truck.I took my Dak to
> > them,rode around in it with the service manager
> for a
> > while,and he took me to Enterprise car rental.They
> > gave me a 2001 Ram Quad Cab with a 360 to drive
> around
> > in!!!(I know I said in an earlier post that it was
> > Ram 2500 with a 318.Not so.Don`t know where I got
> > that.)I would have been happy with an old 4x4
> Dak,as
> > long as it ran! My impressions of the 5.9L brute?
> The
> > first thing I noticed was the starter.It has a
> very
> > high rpm starter,sounds funny.Not at all like the
> > Dak.Do all 5.9s use that starter? The Ram rides
> > good,but just feels massive.The transmission seems
> > shift very early and very softly.You take off at
> light
> > throttle,and it downshifts unexpectedly at a
> certain
> > speed,like 30mph or so,then winds out and upshifts
> > again.I test-drove a 99 318 Dak that shifted just
> like
> > it.My V6 Dak shifts seemingly late and harsh by
> > comparison.Especially harsh when it loses
> > power.Another thing with the Ram,I was driving it
> > today and heard a woooooooooo sound at highway
> speed.I
> > asked my wife to get the window sticker out of the
> > glovebox,and tell me what the axle ratio was.Sure
> > enough,it has 3.55s in it.This truck has only 9000
> > miles on it,BTW.The Ram seems to accelerate
> well,but
> > not as much as I would expect.Probably compares to
> > 3.9 Dak as far as power-to-weight ratio.That`s
> just a
> > guess,but I`m sure a 318 or 287 Dak would blow the
> > doors off it.I don`t think the gearing and the
> tranny
> > throttle cable adjustment are fully optimized for
> such
> > a big vehicle.Anyway,I called to check on my Dak
> > today,and guess what was on order for it? A new
> > cat,and O2 sensor!! I might be able to get it
> [...]

=====
1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92 Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.