Re: Do I need a new battery?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 19:23:50 EST

> My battery is going dead. It's having a very difficult time starting
> yesterday and today will not start at all. I haven't left any lights on.
> would have thought my driving yesterday would have recharged the battery
but
> I guess not. My question is do you think the battery just needs a jump
and
> some more driving to re charge it? Or just a whole new battery? If I need
> new battery which optima battery should I get?

We run dual batteries in my dad boat, and recharge them once a year, these a
deep cycle marine batteries though......and they do hold their charge rather
well throughout the year. Now just think about this, would you want to spend
$50-$125 for a battery or try to recharge it only to have it not start
somewhere, especially off road. I paid $42 for my Champion 4x4 1000CA 950CCA
4 post battery about 3-4 years ago. I have many electrical accessories
bolted onto its 'optional' 2 posts, and the battery is still in great
condition. I bought it at Sam's club, and I think they even still carry
them.
Jason, is this the stock battery we are talking about? If so, mine lasted a
nice 75,000 miles before it died, but many many many GenIII Dakota owners
have reported the battery only lasting a year or so.
 If you want to get a new battery, and like Optima's Spiral Cell technology,
two other battery manufacturers currently sell/make the same battery as
Optima, but they are alot cheaper. They even say "Spriral Cell" technology
used and invented by Optima.
Check out these websites for comparisons:
Optima: http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm
Champions Vortex: http://www.gnb.com/consumer/auto.html
I think Interstate also makes a battery equivalent to the Optima one. Cant
find at the current moment online though.....hope this helps somewhat
though.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6