Re: Re: Rear 17x11 (OEM R/T wheels) and 305/45-17s update

From: Viper450hpGTS@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 22:22:41 EST

<< Wow ... I am definitely drooling ;-) I was wondering if you know the
 backspacing or offset was changed when the two rims were "merged". Also is
 your Dak lowered (Hotchkis) or the normal R/T stance?
     I am thinking about wider rims for the back, but will probably go no
 wider then 10" and that is with the Hotchkis kit.

Chuck,

           I tested the wheels with the tires mounted on both my trucks. The
4.7L Sport has the full Hotchkis set-up including sway bars and Bilisteins.
Only the back spacing changes, the offset remains the same. I took a bunch of
measurements, before I took them to be widened. You have 3 and 1/4 inches for
the fender a 3 inches to the leaf springs. 1 inch is more than enough! There
is PLENTY of room between the tire and fender and there are no suspension
clearence problems. The R/T has Ground Force suspension, and it fits that one
just the same way. The 17x11s with the 305s or 315s look absolutely
delicious. Gorgeous combination. I've seen the 305s on a 9" wheel and they
bulge out too much (fugliness hehehe) for my tastes. I'd go the full 11
inches wide after seeing them on the vehicle. Best of all, it will take a
keen eye to notice them if you come up beside my truck. From the rear, with
the roll-pan, they are DEFINATELY noticeable. Very *tough* looking (almost
Viperesc).

James
'99 Flame Red RC Dakota R/T (ATI Procharged)
'01 Black 4.7L RC Dakota Sport (5-speed & 3.92 gear)