Dak flunked inspection!

From: Christopher Scott (clscott1221@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 11:35:56 EST

Well, after I spent last Sunday rewiring the parking
lights so the Dak could be inspected, it flunked
anyway. Three things I have to fix:

1) Muffler leaking. I didn't think it would flunk on
this, but they are suprising strict here in NC. When
I put it on, I didn't have the right clamps, so I sort
of forced on clamps that were too small, so it didn't
seal well. No problem, I'll fix it tomorrow

2)No license plate light. I should have known this
would be a problem. There's not even a spot for one
in my roll pan. The last guy that inspected it was
the dealer that sold it to me in NY, and I suspect he
just licked and sticked. No biggie, so I buy a light
and splice it into the taillights. No problem.

3)Window Tint-another reason I suspect it wasn't
legally inspected when I bought it. The tint on the
side windows was tested at 18%. I'm not sure how the
numbers work, but I think the darker the tint, the
lower the number (Anyone? Anyone?) The legal limit in
NC is 35%, and I'm willing to bet it's similar in New
York. Well, I knew the guy I bought it from had no
scruples anyway.

I could tell the mechanic expected me to be really
upset it failed, and when I wasn't he was really
friendly and gave me tips on how to fix it so it would
pass, and also getting it running better in general.
The guy was a Dodge fan and really knowledgeable. He
even knew exactly what percent voltage drop at the O2
sensor would trigger the trouble code I get every once
in while! I was impressed. So now I have 30 days to
put the right clamps on the muffler, wire up a light
or two for the license plate, and peel the tint. Oh,
well, I was happy it passed the tailpipe sniff and the
crack in the windshield was far enough away from the
driver's field of view that it's not an issue.
-Christopher Scott
proprietor, BlueHorse Enterprises
http://ibo.bwwonline.com/bluehorse