Speaking of the Snow White Virus

From: Thumper (thumper72@lvcm.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 22:54:12 EST

I too received the Snow White Virus....3 Times!!! Luckily McAfee caught
them.

It did not, however, catch one called creative.exe which disguises itself as
a Shockwave Media file. It messed with alot of files!

According to McAfee it is an e-mail based worm that forwards itself to
everyone on your e-mail list but I was trying out a new mail program and did
not have anyone in the address book! WHEW, Im thankfull for that! I wont
be opening up any .exe's no matter who they are from!

Following is the alert per McAfee Dispatch:

W32/ProLin@MM is an Internet worm that spreads via email. McAfee AVERT has
given it a risk assessment of MEDIUM TO HIGH-RISK. The email comes with an
attachment named CREATIVE.EXE, which carries the icon of a Shockwave Media
Player application.
You may receive the email in this format:

  Subject = A great Shockwave flash movie
  Body = Check out this new flash movie that I downloaded just now ... It's
Great
  Bye
  Attachment = creative.exe
If you run CREATIVE.EXE, it finds and alters all .JPG and .ZIP files on your
system and forwards a copy of itself to everyone in your email address book.
Please do not run the attachment.

Bill Boggs
thumper72@lvcm.com
http://www.lvcm.com/thumper/white_lightning.html