RE: RE: Mike Leach PCM program (and other 4.7 rants)

From: Steven St.Laurent (saint1958@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 22:17:01 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET]On Behalf Of Crit Bennett
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 9:27 PM
To: dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
Subject: DML: RE: Mike Leach PCM program (and other 4.7 rants)

Steven, what do you mean about having it resettled? The rev limiter can be
bumped up or that the powerband is shifted?

>Steve: meaning move up from either 97mph or 115mph to 255mph....

 As far as Leach's unit goes, he
can change fuel maps, rev and speed limiter, and timing, correct?
>Steve: Yes

 What are the
impact to:
1.) Pinging (I know Will has no problems, but anyone else?)

>Steve: None at all

2.) Power (what are the gains, and where)
>Steve: Matt gains was around 8rwhp/9rwTQ

3.) Fuel Economy (also, do you HAVE to run 93, or is it only if you play
with
the timing x no. of degrees?)
>Steve: No gain MPG but with a 5 degree advance

AND WHY THE HELL DOESN'T HE HAVE A WEBPAGE. Sorry, but I want to talk to
the
guy and don't have an outlet, so how about contact info instead - somebody?
>Steve: No time and too much work

Another thing that has irked me for a while has to do with Dodge's 4.7 Dyno
picto-makebelieve-graph. If you go to the website and check it out, the
torque
curve is very nonlinear, which looks like tuning for power and economy in
different rev bands, but it's really funky. Can anyone that's looked at a
real
4.7 torque (not hp) curve comment on Dodge's accuracy?
>Steve: Where is the link. I have an du\ynojet of my truck and others that
are similar.

Also, does anyone know what's been said about the 4.7 H.O. changes, if
anything? I hate the idea of the newcomer 3.7 making only 20 horses less,
given the nearly-identical design and I want to make a H.O. when it happens.
>Steve: 270-280HP TQ around 355lbs. Not too much now do to the upcoming
5.7 (320HP) variant.

Okay, (catching my breath) I think I'm done

Crit

Yes and including the rev limiter or you can have it resettled at a higher
RPM range.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA