Re: RE: Yet Another Fuel Pump Assembly!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 12:39:23 EST

> Do you run your tank close to empty before refilling?

Ron,
After my truck's first pump assembly was replaced under warranty, the techs
and service manager told me, if all possible, dont let the tank get below
the 1/8 full/empty marker on the guage. I really try not to let the gas line
go below the 1/4 marker on the gauge. I know about gas having cooling and
lubrication properties for the fuel pump also. So they are not failing due
to heat or lack of lubrication. I also change the fuel filter every 15,000
miles and whenever I have the change the fuel pump assembly, I check in the
'in tank' strainer or filter and it is really really clean every time. So it
it not like dirt is clogging up and over working the pump. Besides the pump
failing every 30,000 miles, the fuel sending unit is the first to go also.
Thanks for the input though. Carter pumps must just really suck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6