Catylytic Conv: Univ. vs. Direct Fit

From: Jared Kaplan (blizzard@gis.net)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 12:53:42 EST

Hi,
         My catalytic converter recently died and I was wondering if a
universal converter would work ok. I have a 94 Dakota Sport. I can get the
converter for $50 with a 5yr/50,000 mile warrantee. I know someone who has
a friend who can probably weld it on for me so the labor should not be too
expensive but then again I don't know much about welding. I assume it
doesn't take too long to cut out the other one and weld this one on. It
costs just about $50 more for the direct fit so if the labor may really eat
up some money or if a universal may have some problems I would opt for that.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Jared Kaplan
blizzard@gis.net