AX-50 manual tranny questions

From: Christopher Scott (clscott1221@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 14:50:42 EST

The 5-speed in my '94 Sport v6, (AX-50, I believe) is
really shifting badly. I had Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90
gear oil in it for awhile, and it really screwed it
up. I switched back to conventional, but second and
third especially are very "notchy". Has anyone found
a manual tranny lubricant that can overcome this? Is
this tranny just a piece of crap? How can they screw
up something so simple as a manual tranny? (I have
heard that this tranny is made by some company in
Japan.) I am really trying to make this beast more
pleasant to drive so my eyes stop wandering back to
low-slung, short-throw hatchbacks like I used to
drive.
-Christopher Scott