Update to the Hemi C and the HO Hemi 4.7

From: Steven St.Laurent (saint1958@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 02:48:31 EST

Like I told the Mustang group, that this 4.7, 3.7, and the 8.1 will dropped
the Powertech and Next Generation Magnum engine name for the Hemi logo.
Hmm! I guess no ones seemed to get it.

I just got an update from one of my Ace Buzz Patrollers, nicknamed Automole,
regarding Chrysler's future product slate. While everything is still up in
the air, pending the announcement of Dieter Zetsche's restructuring plan at
the end of February, a clearer picture is starting to emerge about the
direction the company will be going in.

He also filled in some information about the Chrysler 300 HEMI C. As you
recall last week Chrysler design chief Trevor Creed hinted that the
beautiful convertible "stands a very good chance." This was good news since
the project had been officially put on hold last October.

That's the good news, the bad news is that my source reports that the
convertible will most likely not feature Chrysler's new 5.7 liter HEMI V8.
He explains that the car is going to have to have a price point of $40,000
to get final approval. The concern is that the vehicle will compete against
Mercedes products if the price is any higher. I suspect that the fact that
the 5.7 equipped 300 would be able to dust Mercedes products costing tens of
thousands more was also a deciding factor.

Instead of the 5.7 the convertible will be equipped with the next generation
of the 3.5 liter V6 currently used in the 300M. My source adds that the 4.7
liter V8 will probably be available as an option.

Last summer Buzz Watch broke the story that the next generation full size
cars code named LX) will feature rear wheel drive and V8 power. To the best
of my knowledge the aluminum version of the 4.7 intended for use in these
cars is still being developed.

There is a strong possibility that Chrysler will badge this engine as a
"HEMI." It's Omega shaped heads are definitely hemispheric so it wouldn't be
much of a stretch to call it a HEMI. We should have our answer on February
7th when the next Ram makes its debut in Chicago. If the Ram's 4.7 is badged
as a HEMI the aluminum version will be as well.

Chrysler needs this car. The brand needs its own flagship vehicle. A v8
powered performance convertible would fit the bill perfectly! I'll keep you
posted.

Steven St.Laurent
2000 Dakota Hemi 4.7 (WRECKED!!)
2000 Ford Roush Mustang Stage III - TT version (sold)
1999 Chebby (gone in 2003)
1993 Tracker (still going-going-going...)
Aspiring for now:
2003 Dakota Hemi 5.7 or a V-10 mod
2003/4 Viper GTS-R