RE: My 93 Dak has the shimmies

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 16:55:36 EST

how old are the tires? what brand, etc? check the pressures? a problem
like you describe can be caused by a bad belt in the tire.

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-
-Hey everybody,
-
-Jeez, if you don't have something better than a 56K modem, don't wait
-8 days to read your DML mail:) As youcan guess I've been sort of
-busy this past week, and I need to repair my 93 Dak before I go on a
-road trip this weekend. I'll be putting about 500-600 miles on the
-Dak going down to PA.
-
-My problem is my front end shakes. Not all the time, mostly while
-cruising at any speed, worsening if I let off the gas, but you don't
-really notice it if you're braking or turning. I replaced the front
-wheel bearing, rotors, calipers, and pads in Feb last year, so I
-don't really think they are the problem.
-
-Someone mentioned awhile ago that if have the wheel in the air, grab
-the tire by the top and bottom and it shakes, that means the bearing
-is loose. What would be screwed up if you can skake it by the sides?
-
-I've actually already done this same trip 2x and driven around for a
-few weeks, and it has gotten fractionaly worse. I'll have a
-passenger this time, so I want to get this taken care of. God, I
-hope this doesn't turn into one of those expensive repairs...
-
-Aside from the initial cost though, I wouldn't mind. My 93 CC V6 5-
-speed has 192,500 miles on it, the only things outside regular
-maintenance I've had to do are the timing chain, power steering
-hoses, and the cooling fan. And everytime I upgraded. She runs well
-despite the worsened aerodynamics of a few dings and dents, but I'll
-be keeping her for a while :)
-
-Thanks for any help guys. So I can read your responces, I'll be
-working on it tomorrow, and will be taking the ridges off the TB
-tomorrow to. I'll let everyone know the performance and mileage
-differences after my trip.
-
-

---
-Is your email secure? http://www.pop3now.com
-(c) 1998-2001 secureFront Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
-
-