Oil Filters

From: Ken Hoffman (kenh@photocenterimaging.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 19:38:13 EST

FWIW -- I use the AC/Delco UPF20 filter on my 99 CC 318 .

I chose this because I did a similar thing and disected all the major
brands I could find----except the WIX-- however I have heard that they are
a top choice.

One interesting point that I noticed about the Delco filter is that it had
a very higi quality anti drain back valve that appears to actually work.
Most let the oil bleed back after an hour or so, or don't have one at all!
On a side note though, I sampled a PF20 not a UPF 20 -- the difference
being that the UPF20 is a new "premium grade" filter that allegedly
catches like 95% of all particles down to ohhhhhhhh Ithink 10microns on
the first pass.--it's been a while. It was also the only filter as I
recall that actually made a printed claim about the size of the particles
it was capable of catching.
Differences in actual filter media were fairly minimal------but the FRAM
just sucked -no drainback valve and a really cheesy paper element (most of
the other elements were of a woven or fabric type) terrible for presure
drop across the element.

so there you have it ------my OPINION

LOVE
Ken H
simi Valley,CA

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line"