Re: Re: No Crank in Cold

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 20:32:41 EST

On 30 Jan 01, at 12:50, DML Digest wrote:

> Subject: Re: DML: No Crank in Cold
>
> Joe I have had the exact same problem in my 01 4.7 5 speed. My guess is that
> it has somthing to do with the saftey on the clutch pedal so it wont crank
> over. I had the truck not start on me a total of five times in december and it
> hasnt happened since then and its been much colder. Every time I just played
> with the pedal and turned the key on and off a few times quickly and it started
> right up. I have had the battery tested and I know its not that. I never
> bothered to bring it into the dealer since it stopped doing it and I kinda
> forgot about it. If you happen to find out what causes this I'd like to know.
>
> Chris Lang
> Silver 01 4.7 RC 4x4 5 Speed

I tried pumping the clutch and twisting the key several times. No help. The
only thing that worked was a jump from a tiny battery. This worked two for
two times.

> That could be the answer, however, he said that his starter clicked when
> attempting to start. In your situation, the clutch safety switch did not
> allow a connection to be made therefore, if that was the problem, you would
> have heard nothing.
>
> Ron

I heard relays click, but the starter was silent.

> Check the ground wire to the block. It sounds like the ground to the body is
> good or the headlights would dim. The ground wire to the block acts like it's
> going high resistance when cold and not enough current to engage the starter
> but does engage the solenoid. Just a thought. Bill

I like this one. It would explaine the symptoms. I will have a look.

> No crank in cold? Sounds like shrinkage. Happens all the time.

Very funny...

> Seriously, the clicking sound usually indicates a battery that is about
> to fail and cold is harder on a battery than hot (my factory battery
> lasted exactly four years; it doesn't get cold here, but it sure gets
> hot).
>
> I'd have someone else check the battery before you get stranded.
>
> Richard in San Antonio

Battery was load tested at the dealer. It has started the truck fine when it
was 20°F w/o problem.

Thanks fory your help guys.

Drive Safe,

Joe