Re: All batteries created equal? Think not - kinda long - no really - loooonnggg

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 14:19:14 EST

Johnson Controls is the largest automotive battery manufacturer in North
America
They make them for AutoZone, Interstate Battery, Sears, Wal-Mart and
Costco.And also make original equipment batteries for automakers including
DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

The Lead acid battery is made up of plates, lead and lead oxide (various
other elements are used to change density, hardness, porosity, etc.) with a
35% sulfuric acid and 65% water solution. This solution is called
electrolyte which causes a chemical reaction that produce electrons. When
you test a battery with a hydrometer you are measuring the amount of
sulfuric acid in the electrolyte. If your reading is low, that means the
chemistry that makes electrons is lacking. So where did the sulfur go? It is
stuck to the battery plates and when you recharge the battery the sulfur
returns to the electrolyte.

 Basically there are two types of batteries, starting (cranking) and deep
cycle (marine-golf cart). The starting battery is designed to deliver quick
bursts of energy (such as starting engines) and have a greater plate count.
The plates will also be thinner and have somewhat different material
composition. The deep cycle battery has less instant energy but greater
long-term energy delivery. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plate's design
and can survive a number of discharge cycles. Starting batteries should not
be used for deep cycle applications. The so-called Dual Purpose Battery is
only a compromise between the 2 types of batteries.

. Wet Cell (flooded), Gel Cell and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) these are
various versions of the lead acid battery. The wet cell comes in 2 ways,
serviceable and maintenance free, both are filled with electrolyte and I
prefer one that I can add water and check the specific gravity of the
electrolyte with a hydrometer. The Gel-Cell and the AGM batteries are
specialty batteries that typically cost twice as much as a premium wet cell.
However they store very well and do not tend to sulfate as easily as wet
cell. There is no chance of a hydrogen gas explosion or corrosion using
these batteries. Most Gel-Cell and some AGM batteries require special
charging rate, especially the deep cycle models. I personally feel that
careful consideration should be given to the AGM battery technology.
Applications such as Marine, RV, Classic and Performance cars just to name a
few. If you don't use or operate your equipment daily; which can lead
premature battery failure; or depend on top-notch battery performance then
spend the extra money. Gel-Cell batteries still are being sold but the AGM
batteries are replacing them in many cases. There is a little confusion
about AGM batteries because different manufactures call them different
names; a couple popular ones are regulated valve and dry cell batteries. In
most cases AGM batteries will give double the life span and many more deep
cycles than wet cell battery.

Battery Testing can be done in more than one way. The most popular is
measurement of specific gravity and battery voltage. To measure specific
gravity buy a temperature compensating hydrometer at an auto parts store. To
measure voltage, use a digital D.C. Voltmeter.

You must first have the battery fully charged. The surface charge must be
removed before testing. If the battery has been setting at least several
hours (I prefer at least 12 hours) you may begin testing. To remove surface
charge the battery must experience a load of 20 amps for 3 plus minutes.
Turning on the headlights (high beam) will do the trick. After turning off
the lights you are ready to test the battery.

State of Charge Specific Gravity Voltage
100% 1.265 12.7
*75% 1.225 12.4
50% 1.190 12.2
25% 1.155 12.0
Discharged 1.120 11.9

*Sulfation of Batteries starts when specific gravity falls below 1.225 or
voltage measures less than 12.4 (12v Battery) or 6.2 (6 volt battery).
Sulfation hardens the battery plates reducing and eventually destroying the
ability of the battery to generate Volts and Amps.

Battery life and performance, average battery life has become shorter as
energy requirements increase. Two most phrases I hear most often are "my
battery won't take a charge and my battery won't hold a charge". Only 30% of
batteries sold today reach the 48-month mark. In fact 80% of all battery
failure is related to sulfation build-up. This build up occurs when the
sulfur molecules in the electrolyte (battery acid) becomes so deeply
discharged that they begin to coat the batteries lead plates. Before long
the plates become so coated the battery dies. The causes of sulfation are
numerous, let me list some for you.

Batteries sit too long between charges. As little as 24 hours in hot weather
and several days in cooler weather.

Battery storage, leaving a battery sits without some type of energy input.

Deep cycling engine start battery, remember these batteries can't stand deep
discharge.

Undercharging of battery, to charger a battery lets say 90% of capacity will
allow sulfation of battery using the 10% of battery chemistry not
reactivated by the incomplete charging cycle.

Heat of 100 plus F., increases internal discharge. As temperatures increase
so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24
hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an
engine.

Low electrolyte level, battery plates exposed to air will immediately
sulfate.

Incorrect charging levels and settings. Most cheap battery chargers can do
more damage than help. See the section on battery charging.

Cold weather is hard on the battery the chemistry does not make the same
amount of energy as a warm battery. A deeply discharged battery can freeze
solid in sub zero weather.

Parasitic drain is a load put on a battery with the key off.

Parasitic drain is a load put on a battery with the key off. Most vehicles
have clocks, engine management computers, alarm systems, etc. In the case of
a boat automatic bilge pump, radio, GPS, etc., may all be operating without
the engine running. You may have parasitic loads caused by a short in the
electrical system. If you are always having dead battery problems most
likely the parasitic drain is excessive. The constant low or dead battery
caused by excessive parasitic energy drain will dramatically shorten battery
life.

Battery Charging, remember you must put back the energy you use immediately,
if you don't the battery sulfates and that affects performance and
longevity. The alternator is a battery charger. It works well if the battery
is not deeply discharged. The alternator tends to overcharge batteries that
are very low and the overcharge can damage batteries. In fact an engine
starting battery on average has only about 10 deep cycles available when
recharged by an alternator. Batteries like to be charged in a certain way,
especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is
called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART
CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 steps charging techniques.
You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The
first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity
is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of
the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the
absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4
volts and the current (amps) decline until the battery is 98% charged. Next
comes the Float Step, this is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4
volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the
battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or
heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent
cycling during long term inactivity. Some get cell and AGM batteries may
require special settings or chargers.

Additional information can be found at....
Deep cycle battery http://nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/dcbat.html
Start (cranking) battery http://nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/batfaq.html

Patrick O'Day
(not the author)