No Crank Update

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 07:51:41 EST

I have an intermittent problem with my 1998 5.2l 5-speed dak. On two
mornings when it was 10°F it would not crank (at all). I jumped it with a
partly discharged motorcycle battery and it lit right up. I has started reliably
at warmer temperatures.

I took it to the dealer and they load tested the battery, checked the starter
and connections. All OK. They want me to leave it there so they can have
the first start. All well and good, but I live near Philladelphia and it rarely
gets to 10°F.

There are only a few things in the starter circuit (wires, battery, starter relay,
starter, clutch switch and ignition switch) so I figure there is not too much to
go wrong. My money is on the starter relay. Yesterday it was 25°F and I
sprayed the relay with electronics "freeze it" spray until it was super cold.
Truck still started.

I still hold the relay suspect. Next time there is a problem I will swap the
relay with the fog light relay and see if that is the problem.

Drive Safe,

Joe

Joe Dille
Telford, PA USA