Oil Pressure Fluctuation Problem

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:36:38 EST

I have found my oil pressure fluctuation problem - it turned out to be
the oil pressure sending unit. Dead at 110K miles. Symptoms were: slow
response of needle at cold start (wondering if it really had 0psi for
that long before it came up) and occasionally dipping down in the
10-20psi area under slight accel (1800-2200rpms). Now that the new one
is on - it is rock solid (45psi) at all times and comes up within 2-3
seconds like new.

The part number is 53030493 and it fits at least a '96 5.9L and probably
all the 5.2L and 3.9Ls as well (can anybody confirm?). Funny thing was
that I ordered 2 - one from a Chrysler parts supplier and one from a
Dodge parts supplier. The Chrysler part says "Mopar - Chrysler
Corporation Genuine Parts" cost $18 and has a protective plastic cap
over the harness connector end. The Dodge part says "Mopar Parts", cost
$29 and didn't come with any protective cover (both in sealed plastic
bags). Weird.

For $18 - everybody should carry a spare in their glovebox. Imagine
what you would do if all of a sudden you got 5psi reading on your gauge
while away from home?

Latr,

Shane

ps - I can't wait till Feb 18. Besides Daytona - our local dragstrip is
opening up for test-n-tune!

--
'96
IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs

'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck" '74 Triple-Black Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 home-brew EFI R&D vehicle '68 Black Corvette Convertible 427 (For Sale)