Re: Truck Stalling Update!!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:48:45 EST

At 11:42 AM 2/4/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Nope, no rough roads or anything. It acted up one time while getting onto
>the highway and another time while accelerating from a dead stop. No common
>places either, just seems to be acceleration related and also occurs
>frequently when idling in gear at a stopsign/stoplight.
>Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Kyle

Your description, about when the problems occur, sure sounds like symptoms
that happen on fuel injected engines which are caused by a vacuum leak.
As extra air enters the intake manifold through the vacuum leak, the computer
compensates by injecting more fuel. Fuel economy drops and the engine speed
goes up. The computer tries to lower it with the IAC sensor. If the leak
is too large,
the idle cannot be controlled. A code may or may not be set.

Being a intermittent problem, I would suspect a cracked vacuum hose (from the
MAP, from the PCV valve, etc.) or a sticking PCV valve. Carefully inspect
all hoses.
If all hoses are ok, replace the PCV valve (very inexpensive) and check for
a leaking
intake manifold gasket. One way is to spray a little water on the gasket,
and if the
idle speed changes, then the gasket is leaking.

I've read where Tim thinks it's the crankshaft position sensor. It might
still be
but I would have thought that, if your motor started, you would be experiencing
hesitation and misfiring problems as well.

Considering everything else that you've done, I can't think of anything else.

Good luck,
Bob