RE: RE: Re: Manual vs. Auto (WAS: I4->V8?)

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 02:59:45 EST

I used to think that but the more I get involved in discussions about
automatics (valve bodies) and torque converters the more I'm inclined to
believe that the automatic carries a definite advantage, performance-wise.
I think its the misunderstandings about automatic transmissions that makes
one believe that a manual one is better. There is no doubt in my mind that
a manual tranny is more fun to drive. That's how I learned to drive and I
still love to drive one to this day BUT if it's performance you want then
you need to consider an automatic and torque converter, custom-built. The
parasitic losses of an automatic drivetrain are from 20-30% but a
custom-built valve body and TC can eliminate most of that without
eliminating drivability. Of course, as is with any performance custom-built
part, there is a cost involved. If you don't do any of the work yourself,
the cost will be $1000-2000 depending on the amount of power your engine is
capable of producing.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD