RE: Re: Manual vs. Auto (WAS: I4->V8?)

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:10:21 EST

Just joking around of course and agree with
Tom on both. But I'll have to add street spanking
to the manual side.

GS -

>>--------original------------

To be honest, both types of transmissions have their advantages...

I've been involved in Drag racing, road racing, and autocrossing since I was
in high school...

The manual tranny allows slightly more power to get to the ground, but
consistency is harder to obtain when shifting... a manual is a must in road
racing, where using the engine to help braking (quicker braking times and
helps the brakes last). I raced an 87 Honda Accord LXi w/ a 5-speed and did
very well... wouldn't have been able to compete with an auto...

The auto tranny is my choice for drag racing... If you bracket race, you
want consistency, consistency that is easier found with an auto tranny, but
you lose a little more horsepower at the rear wheels due to slippage from
the torque converter...
I have a 71 Chevelle with a 500+hp SB Chevy, with a race prepped TH350 auto
Tranny, that when you hit 2nd gear will shift hard enough to pull the right
front tire off the ground...

Manual tranny - autocrossing, road racing
Auto tranny - drag racing

This is just my 2 cents, go with what you prefer... but don't knock the
others...

Later,
Tom "Slick"
<<