RE: "cold" brakes?

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 21:20:49 EST

<<When my truck is cold (first thing in the morning) when taking off, then
coming to a stop at a stop light, when I hit the brakes, the brakes seem to
"lock up", quite a jolt. It seems like all 4 wheels lock up. After this
has happened a few times and the brakes seem to be warmed up the problem is
not there anymore. Any ideas on what could cause this? ABS in back only.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Jay,
Since this is happening first thing in the morning, it is probably becuase
the rotors and drum rust. I had this same problem when I bought my 96, so I
took it to the dealer. The guy who looked at it was a nice guy and seemed to
know what he was talking about. He explained that overnight the rotors and
drums will rust. It is at its worst when the truck has sat for a few hours
(like overnight). The reason they lock up is becuase for brakes to work
properly, they need to have a smooth contact surface. If the surface is
rusted, it will lock up. A good demonstraion is to take a block of wood.
Drag it over a smooth surface (like a kitchen counter top), it glides
smoothly. Now try to drag it over a piece of 4 grit sandpaper. Didn't work
to well did it? That same idea applies to the brakes, with the rust acting
like 40 grit and after you use the brakes it cleans off the rust and the
rotors and drums become like the kitchen counter top. That all made sense to
me when he said it.

Will
96 Paxton huffed NOS intercooled 408 Dakota
89 Shelby Dakota
69 Dodge Charger