Re: Re: 4.7L Reliability/Long Term

From: Matt Thar (henryrollins@springmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 03:48:05 EST

Just to add my .02
I am at the same point you are. I have a 93 CC with a 318 and a 3.9 posi. I have driven a 01 with the 4.7 with a 3.55 gear and that motor pulls harder then my 318. I know that they have been using the 4.7 for 4 years. I do not see alot of promblems with the motor. I know that DC test the crap out of everything (That is part of my job)I do not think that they would put a bad motor on the market. They are going to run this motor in alot more cars and trucks. The main thing I can see with this motor is to change the oil every 3k. big long steel timing chains need to have fresh oil. I worked at saturn for a while and they had a promblem with timing chain slapping around. The reason was not changing the oil. I do not have a problem with the 4.7 I belive it is soild. I just hate to think about a 300-400 dollar truck payment. Dodge is giving a .9 APR on this truck. So all you would be paying for is the truck not all the bankers.
The man is right Cars have become so refined that you can get 300k out of stuff if you take care of it.

Just make sure you buy what you want. If you want those power heated mirrors get them. I used to go though cars and trucks like water. Till I bought a truck like I wanted it. I have owned mine 9 years and 130k.

Just my .02
Matt Tharp