Re: Re: Spring rates?-John!

From: John Burgan (jburgan3@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 06:27:14 EST

William,

Entering in these dimensions:
Od= 5.375
Wire Od= .625
Total coils= 6
You get a rate of 511#/in

Free length of the spring does not affect the calculation for rate.

With wire this big, coil count makes a huge difference in rate..... for
instance changing the number of coils to 7 drops the rate to 409#/in. Are
you sure there are only 6 coils in the spring? This just seems a little
stiff, but I don't manufacture automotive suspension springs so I could be
out of line here. :)

Spring Design is a program that is distributed by SMI (Spring Manufactures
Institute) for use in the industry, but I don't think it is available to the
public. There may be similar programs out there, but I am not aware of
them.....

Hope this helps,
-John