Warranty Coverage (long)

From: j.r.bower@modine.com
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 10:02:05 EST

Rob

I just want to say up front, I'm not trying to start an argument with you.
I truly see your point and I'm sure techs do get burned a lot (I'm actually
a warranty engineer who works with Chrysler's guys in Auburn Hills).
However, in this case I believe the tech actually may have made money. With
the kit on, the control arms become ridiculously easy to change, there's
just so much more room and also, since the bolts had just been put in about
36 hours prior, there was no figthing with them (with an impact wrench,
that's a none issue anyway). So all told, to do both control arms it's
removing the wheels, four bolts, two screws for the brake lines and
seperating two ball joints, and then doing it backwards - one hour tops for
both sides. Then add on the time for an alignment. I doubt there is any
labor figured for under an hour by Chrysler for anything that invovles
lifting the vehicle. So with replacing two joints (one per side), that's at
least two hours of labor figured in plus the alignment time. Since the
labor figures in things like lifting the vehicle, lowering the vehicle and
some other things that only need to be done once but would be accounted for
twice, I believe the tech should have been able to make some on the deal. I
have no problem with a dealer wanting to protect themselves and their techs,
but they do have an obligation to their customers and I firmly believe that
a service manager should get off of his can to look at the vehicle before
flat denying warranty. If he hasn't done that, then he's not protecting
squat, he's just being a prick. And that's what I am objecting to. Like I
said, if the kit had been on for a significant period of time, I would
question the joints wearing out, but I wouldn't blame the dealer for not
wanting to stick his neck out - as long as he was willing to at least look
at the truck.

As for the part being returned, I know that happens because I get returned
parts back from Chrysler for inspection to determine if we as the supplier
will accept the warranty. Once again, if the service mgr would have simply
got off his butt, he would have seen that the control arm and ball joint has
not been altered in any way, so a part return is not a problem.

Let me say again, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all and argue with you, I'm
just trying to explain my particular case.

Jason