RE: Replace Timing Chain Myself???? - Help

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 12:59:24 EST

it's fairly easy to do if you are any sort of mechanically inclined. You
should do it WELL below $350, probably closer to $150 with a good double
roller chain... I'll try and write out the steps for you this afternoon,
email me off list and remind me...

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-Ok, my timing chain seems to be on it's last leg for the second
-time. They
-seem to last about 38,000 miles or so for me. Hopefully the problem with
-the second one was the fact that the tensioner or guide that was
-supposed to
-be put in there was not.
-My dak sounds like a rattling piece of junk at idle and like it's going to
-fly apart in the mornings. So, I had given some thought to replacing the
-timing chain for the second time, only doing it myself this time. Now the
-questions:
-1. How difficult of a task is this?
-2. What parts will I need? (Kyle, I think you had compiled a list before)
-3. Is there a "better" quality timing chain I could get?(the last
-one was a
-NAPA)
-4. What is that piece that is supposed to be put in there as mentioned
-above? (tensioner.....guide...?)
-5. Does anyone have a fsm showing the replacement of the timing chain? I
-need some clear directions and would be glad to pay to have some
-copies sent
-to me.
-Any advice on this subject would be helpful. I think I can replace it
-myself for less than $350.
-Thanks!!
---Aaron--
-95 DSRC 4x4 V6 Auto