Re: DML Digest V4 #3250

From: Damien Civiello (djc208@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 01:01:33 EST

    Well I just have to chime in here as I own one of each.
The valve guide problem wasn't lethal to the motor, just annoying. The
guides would slip and allow oil into the exhaust manifold. The change was
made in late '92. I also have the A604 which is known to be temperamental
if they are abused but a nice tranny to drive none the less.
    Both engines are great in my opinion. The 3.0 gets good fuel mileage
(~28 mpg highway), develops a good amount of low-end torque and is a fairly
strong motor. The disadvantages are that there is almost no aftermarket for
performance though we're slowly growing one. The motor is very reliable and
well designed with most stuff easy to get to, it's ideal for underdrive
pulleys as the water pump is driven by the timing belt so you can turn the
accessories slower and still maintain perfect cooling in any temp. Not to
mention the fact this is the same block, crank, and rods as used in the twin
turbo Stealth making 300hp so we know the motor has serious potential.
    On the other hand there's my 3.9. That engine has a great history, is
near bullet-proof and does quite well for itself. I can't attest to the
Magnum engines but the stats on my 87 aren't much better than my 3.0 stock.
I think there's an extra few hp and lb-ft. but nothing major for the
difference in displacement.
Damien Civiello
Penn State Engineering
1993 Shadow ES 3.0
1987 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6
1950 Chrysler Windsor Flathead 6
1961 Desoto 418 V8
Common sense says "if it's not broke don't fix it."
Engineers say "if it's not broke we didn't make it complex enough."