V-6: 3.0 or 3.9? Rather long.

From: dakotaviper (dakotaviper@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 17:01:48 EST

Well for starters, I have both. The 3.0 is in my '92
Eagle Premier and the 3.9 is in my '94 Dakota. For
ease of maintenance, I like the 3.9. Heck; for
performance, speed, reliability and such, the 3.9 is
far better. Only the 3.0 is better in gas mileage. My
Dak's 3.9 is mated to a 5-speed. The Premier's 3.0 is
mated to a automatic. The Premier gets around 28 mpg
on the highway and has been averaging 21 to 23 mpg in
the city. My Dak gets 24 mpg on the highway and around
19 in the city. But, the Premier has a 14 gallon tank
and the Dak has the 22 gallon tank. Both engines have
over 100,000 miles on them. The Dak currently has
147,678 on it, without a major overhaul, no oil
leakage and still has excellant power. The Premier
just turned over 138,000 miles and leaks like a sieve,
overheats at any speed under 50, at any outside
temperature (-10 to 110) and even at idle. I've had
fewer problems with the 3.9. Actually almost none with
the 3.9!!!!