Re: locker in the front--axle disconnect? ATTN: Mike K

From: Jason Yates (onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 21:21:58 EST

So Mike,
You seem to have a good handle on locker behavior/installation.
With this discussion, I realize I'm not sure I understand a term
that has been tossed around since the beginning of this
thread--what exactly is the "axle disconnect system." The
original poster (the other Jason) said the Gen III Dakota
doesn't have one and you say you have a manual override. I
guess all I know is that when I take the transfer case out of
4WD into 2WD, the front axle is no longer receiving power from
the engine. Is that the "axle disconnect system" we're speaking
of or is there more to it? Thanks for your previous responses
and in advance for helping me understand this complex world of
4WD. ;)

JY

--- Mike Klinke <lsomike@email.msn.com> wrote:
> Every vehicle is different. And even two vehicles of the same
> type will act
> differently with a locker in the front. I have a Jeep Wrangler
> with a
> Lockright autolocker in front and have no apparent symptoms
> what-so-ever
> when in either 2 or 4wd. I have a manual override on my axle
> disconnect
> system and accidently ran it for 2 hours disconnected one day
> while trail
> riding. At one obstacle it dawned on me that I wasn't getting
> the traction
> I should have been and I noticed that the switch had the axle
> disengaged. I
> flipped the switch and the obstacle was suddenly no problem.
> The only thing
> I noticed about the locker in front was the additional
> traction, there were
> no other symptoms. There are also others who notice no
> difference at all
> with front autolocker and yet others who have many other
> varied symptoms.
> In general though, on the short wheel based Jeeps, YJ and TJ,
> the front
> autolockers don't appear to present much of a problem.
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke
<snip>