Re: Audio Opinion question - Dester?

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 00:55:24 EST

Wow. I'm the audio expert? I'm sorry, but I really don't know too much
about kenwood's new line of amps. While looking at circuit board designs on
other amps, I've found that pioneer and kenwood's amps "appear" to be
cleaner amps on the market. I've never owned a kenwood amp, but people who
own the new excelon amp praise it daily.

To get you setup straight, I believe you're wanting to power 4 smaller
speakers off the amp and use the 5th channel to power your bazooka tube? if
that's the case, then I'd say this 5 channel amp is a good choice to go
with. you're probably not going to bridge/parallel any of the 4 smaller
speakers so the 40 watts (@ 4 ohms) should handle the highs deciently, while
that 150 watts will go to the efficeint bazooka tube. I think it'd be a
nice setup to have.

You could ALSO look into a 6 channel amp. run 4 channels for the highs,
then bridge channels 5&6 for the sub and get more power. If you want nice
clarity along with a forgiving power supply, you might also want to look
into a ppi 6600.2 (try ubid.com-fair selection of ppi amps cheap from time
to time) that amp might be along the lines of 430-500 bucks so it could be
out of your price range, so I guess I'd stick with the kenwood.

And as far as any subs fitting behind the seat without losing any leg room
in a RC dakota? Maybe 4-8" subs like NVMYDAKOTA had? IDQ subs take really
small boxes, but I think an 8 or 10" bazooka tube would fit better.
-Chuong

<<Well, I sold my palm pilot on ebay, so I have a little cash to spend. I
want
to get a 4 channel amp, I am dead set on a kenwood. Most likely I will get
the Kac-848 since it is 50watts a channel and has hi and lo pass crossovers
for the front AND rear. I already have a kenwood eq and Kenwood HQ
speakers. Well, while looking around for the best price on one, I found out
that Kenwood now has an amp out with the same features, except 40 watts, not
50, and it has a built in 120 watt sub amp! The price is about 80bux more
than the 848. I have found the 848 for $215 and the 859 for $280ish.
depending on the dealer. Anyone ever dealt or heard anything about the new
KAC-859? I plan on getting another bazooka, just not a powered one, so
the 120watt's will be more than enough to drive a single bazooka. (had a
bad runin with a powered bazooka) The sub channel has it's own power supply
so it won't drag down the other 4 channels. Come on Dester, this is your
area of expertise! =]

I only have about 300 to spend, so I think this would be a good "core" amp.
I am not into loud music, I just want to hear it above the road and wind
when the winders are down.

Are there any other subs you can put behind the seat of RC w/o loosing leg
room.. and I mean ANY LEG room. I have to have my seat alllll the way back!