Rear End Whine

From: Ken Hoffman (kenh@photocenterimaging.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 13:58:49 EST

Well,for what it's worth, my 99cc had a slight whine from the day I took
delivery. Some rear ends just have a little personality. No joke. It is not
too uncommon for gear sets to humm or resonate at certain rpm and load
combinations; however, If your noise IS new and/or you're getting up there
in mileage, it could be something as "simple" as a tired pinion or carrier
bearing. Now, on that note, dig this-- when I had my rear end torn down for
my 4.10 gears the fella disassembling it asked me if it had been making
some
noise--and indeed it had been. Upon my inspection of the "old" (40k)
bearings, some of the races did have some nicks in 'em. More than enough
cause the slight noise I was experiencing. This inspite of my good
maintenance and relatively easy driving style. So, I now have nice quite
bearings and a r&p with a "personality" under load at 65-67 mph. Nothing
worry about, just another gearset w/ a personality:) Use your judgement
as
to wether you have a whole bunch of miles and if the noise is new to
determine your course of action. Your "dust" is NOT abnormal --just try and
carefully wipe it out at your sservice intervals.
Hope this sheds some light on your situation.

Ken H
Simi Valley, CA

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line"