Re: Re: << VIRUS NOTICE >> - THIS IS A HOAX!

From: Mike (spammike@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 09:08:46 EST

You can usually tell a hoax if they hype it too much. They will often =
say something like "Microsoft and AOL have said..." and "Intel and CNN =
say this is the worst thing ever". They will throw in a bunch of high =
profile companies trying to make you think "Wow, this must be really bad =
if all of these companies are saying this". Many also say something =
like "it will infect both PC's and Mac's" or "it affects both Netscape =
and Internet Explorer". Statements like this are also BS, PC's and =
Mac's have completely different OS's and a virus written for one will =
not work on another. Even worms that use the browser or email client to =
execute will use the registry, autoexec.bat file, and windows folder to =
cause damage on a PC, so they will have no effect on a Mac. I have yet =
to see a cross-browser, cross-platform virus.

If you want to stay safe, disable scripting in your email and DO NOT =
OPEN ATTACHMENTS if you don't know what they are. Especially something =
with an exe or vbs extension. You may get a file like =
"lookAtThis.jpg.vbs". This is not an image! This is an executable =
script that is most likely a virus. I also recommend getting a good =
virus scanner like Norton or Mcafee and installing the following:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm (AnalogX =
Script Defender)

Mike