Re: RE: Differential question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 23:20:48 EST

> 4-5 quarts (I use Mobil 1 synth) gear lube, 1 tube of RTV (The Right
Stuff)
> a 1/2" socket w/ 3in extension, gasket scraping utensil, and a drain pan.
>
> just loosen all the bolts, starting at the bottom. once loose, remove all
> the bolts starting from the bottom working up, leave the top 1 or 2 bolts
> in. Pry from the bottom if need be, till fluid starts pouring out.
Drain,
> clean, inspect for broke teeth/gears (hopefully none!) Scrape the old
> gasket crap off, clean with brake cleaner. Apply bead of RTV/TRS,
reinstall
> cover. Tighten bolts gradually working in circles around the housing.
Fill
> with fluid.

Yeah what he said! Be sure to have plenty of brake cleaner on hand, so you
can fully clean out all the old fluid. This way you can properly prepare the
diff's surface to make sure it is 100% dry and clean of any oils. I also
like the let the RTV setup for a good hour or so before refilling the diffs
with the fluid. When doing both diffs, I go through about 4 cans. Meijer's
or WalMart typically is the cheapest by far when it comes to buying brake
cleaner. I prefer Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube. I one time just slapped the diff
cover on(with the RTV just applied) and had a little leak. So from then on I
just let the RTV set up before filling the diffs back up. Might also be a
good time to do drain and refill your truck's tcase while the RTV is setting
up, once again I like Amsoil ATF+3. Hope this helps.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6